The Former Pubs of Hereford: The Sportsman / Bull's Head
The Bull's Head was built in the late 19th century, extended in 1929 and changed its name to The Sportsman in the 1990s before closing abruptly mid-way through the decade and being converted into flats to house migrant workers.Its still just about standing on the corner of Widemarsh Common but missing its roof and surrounded by overgrown wasteland. There have been several fires there in recent years including a major one in 2008 which totally melted the interior.
In 2009 the famous sign which was still hanging next to the derelict pub was taken. It depicted WG Grace and was painted two decades previously by local sign writer Colin Stanley Jones.
More recently the site was brightened up with a Banksy inspired graffiti image of Alice in Wonderland.